The vision for CLASFON was received at the Nigeria Law School in Lagos in 1979. It was then officially started in 1981 with eleven people in Kaduna at the invitation of a young lawyer, George Ogunyomi, who became its pioneer secretary. This was also the first gathering of Christian lawyers in Nigeria beyond law school.
The acronym CLASFON stands for Christain Lawyer's Fellowship of Nigeria, and it is also used to denote the Christain Law Students Fellowship of Nigeria, an associate level made up of students of the faculty of law in Nigerian institutions accredited by NUC. CLASFON is registered under Part C (Incorporated Trustees) of the Corporate Affairs Commission as a faith-based non-governmental organization for Christian lawyers and law graduates in Nigeria.View Branches
Our vision is anchored on our aims and objectives, which, among other things, are:
- Projecting the image of Christ through the practice of the legal profession in a way that glorifies God. (1 Corinthians 10:31)
- Working as a mission with a firm commitment to speaking effectively about the gospel and its impact on problems of law and society. (Mathew 28:18-20)
- To practice our vocation as part of our calling from God. (1 Timothy 4:14–16)
- To support law students who are Christians. (Galatians 6:10)
- To provide spiritual, moral, and financial support for ex-convicts who have come into contact with the saving grace of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. (Gal.6:2, Hebrews 6:10, Prov.3:27)
- To encourage prayers for all persons concerned with the legal profession.(Ephesians 6:8, Col. 1:9, Isaiah 40:31)
- To diligently pursue the path of truth, justice, honor, and integrity in the legal profession and the larger society. (Isaiah 56:1-2, Prov. 22:29).
- To strive for the highest professional ethics in the practice of law. (Philippians 4:13, Matthew 5:48, Isaiah 41:10)
- To provide for the exchange of information and experience relating to the practical problems of the Christian lawyer and the application of the principles of the Christian faith to the current legal and social problems through; (a) Publication and (Habakkuk 2:2, Deut. 6:6-9) (b) Organizing fellowship meetings, national and regional conferences, lectures and other suitable activities.(Hebrews 10:25, Prov.27:17)
In CLASFON, we believe the law is a vital arena for witnessing and discipling. We are committed to the true Gospel of Jesus Christ, and our meetings and fellowships are meant to enhance our spiritual and professional actions as well as provide a forum for encouraging one another. It is better experienced than imagined.
CLASFON has been involved in a variety of mission projects that align with its goals and objectives. The various directorates have been involved in many events with organizations of the government and NGOs. Activities such as;
- Distribution of relief materials and trauma counseling for the IDPs in Abuja with the collaboration of the National Emergency Agency (NEMA).
- Free distribution of Bible devotionals (in the secret place) in Nigerian prisons occurs annually.
- CLASFON has been organizing workshops and a symposium for church leaders across the country in order to raise awareness about legal issues affecting the church and Christians.
- CLASFON has been representing the church and Christian community in Nigeria in the defense and protection of religious liberty.
- CLASFON is involved in the pro bono defense of indigent accused persons, whether in prison or awaiting trial outside of prison.
- Prison visitation has become a regular part of CLASFON's activities.
- The fellowship is deeply interested in the students’ work and has been effectively participating in the various activities of the students both at the local chapter and national level.
- The reintroduction of the quiz and annual moot court competition during the student conference
- The introduction of directorate breakup sessions during the students’ conference.
- CLASFON branches are active in the law school fellowship activities near them as well as the university fellowship.
Our Core Values
To equip members spiritually and professionally to serve God and humanity in their respective legal professional capacities as judges, magistrates, advocates, solicitors, legislators, teachers, administrators, and law students.
- Isaiah 50:4, “The Lord God hath given me the tongue of the learned, that I should know how to speak a word in season to him that is weary."
- Isaiah 56:1, “Thus saith the Lord, keep ye judgment, and do justice; for my salvation is near to come, and my righteousness to be revealed.”
- Proverbs 22:29, “Seest thou a man diligent in his business?" He shall stand before kings; he shall not stand before mean men.
- Titus 2:11–12, “For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men, teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly in this present world;”
- Galatians 2:20, Hebrews 12:1–2, Romans 12:1–2, and Romans 14:17–18
Message from Presidency
Praise the Lord Jesus! It is with Jesus' joy that I welcome you to the official website of the Christian Lawyers' Fellowship of Nigeria (CLASFON), an organization of Christian legal professionals in Nigeria. This website serves as a veritable platform to connect with our members, who are all over the world, as they will be opportune to follow our programs and activities geared towards realizing the mission of our organization. We desire to use this platform to bring good tidings, publish peace, and publish salvation.
Information will be provided on CLASFON's ongoing projects, and members and friends will be guided on how they can participate in the actualization of these projects, which are geared toward strengthening CLASFON's capacity to usher in a new legal profession anchored on Christ.
2021 - 2024
2017 – 2021
2014 – 2017
2011 – 2014
2008 – 2011
2005 – 2008
1999 – 2005
1994 – 1999
1991 – 1993
1987 – 1991
1981 – 1987